Sunday, June 10, 2007

Disney Blog #1


Photo Op
Originally uploaded by Rosalind Tedford.
Lots to talk about with the trip to Disney, so I'll split it up into several entries. First, let's cover traveling on planes with children. Don't do it. As Giz says - the motto of the airline industry has become "Welcome to xxx Airlines. Shut up and get on the plane." On both of our trips, they had not put Erin and me together. Who they thought would want to sit with a stranger's 3 1/2 year old, I don't know. Going we got it switched before we got on the plane. Coming back they essentially said 'Yeah, you'll just have to work that out with the people around you. Good luck with that." Top that off with a child who understands a lot and has even better hearing and you get lots of questions like "Mommy, why would we need a life jacket??" "What are those masks for??" "Why do we need to know where the exits are?" "What are the slides for?" and her sweet. sweet statement to me in the bus on the way to the hotel "Mommy, if we need the masks, I'll let anyone put one on me...don't worry." Flying is a scary thing to a youngun' and with the horrible conditions on planes and in airports (did you know flight attendants now have to clean the planes, too??) I just don't plan to get on a plane with a kid for a while. Plus, your chances of getting to your destination on time and with your bags is apparently approaching the odds of winning the lottery. Which reminds me, I need to buy a PowerBall Ticket! I promise my next post will be more positive, but I'm just thankful for a child who is so remarkable that she didn't completely melt down on the trip. I would have, in her shoes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Roz, you are a strong and brave woman as this trip proves! I can't believe the airlines put you through that (actually, I can) Loved the Flickr pics! Now you can prepare me for going to Disney with my niece and nephew! (At least we don't have to fly when we go!)