Sunday, August 17, 2008

My Daughter the Critic


NY Times magazine
Originally uploaded by Rosalind Tedford.
So Erin, Bobbie, Patrick and I went to the Little Theatre's production of "Seussical the Musical" today at Reynolds Auditorium. Upon seeing the classical facade of the building she announced 'I hope this isn't one of buildings Hercules knocked down!' I assured her it wasn't but congratulated her on her attention to archetectural detail. At intermission she and I went back out to the front and were looking at the columns and she noticed the leaves at the top. I immediately explained to her that those were Corinthian columns and then it hit me....I've become my father. I have such vivid memories of our trip to Rome in 1979 and being quizzed endlessly on the three types of columns (Ionic, Doric and Corinthian thankyouverymuch). So dad.....it stuck and I hope I have years of quizzing my own kids on that on as many trips to Italy as we can muster.

The show was so-so. Not great, not the worst thing I've ever seen. We thought Erin would be ready to go at intermission but she wanted to stay. On the way home, however, when asked her opinion of the show she said 'It was too long and it made me sweat!" Short and to the point....hope our friend Matt Wolf, a London theatre critic appreciates the simplicity.

One week left of the summer. WFU freshmen arrive Thursday and then all hell breaks loose. Erin will be back at The Downtown School this Fall and she is rarin to get back in the swing of things, as are we! Plus, now we have WFU Football to look forward to...no really....we're a football school now, or haven't you heard???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand Erin's reaction to her afternoon at the theatre. I have had the same reaction many times.....even after seeing one act plays.
PopPop